Hospital Radio Basingstoke was pleased to be supporting the WOW Awards celebration at the Ark Conference Centre on 4 February 2014.
More than 125 local hospital staff members who won WOW! Awards last year celebrated their achievements with colleagues and VIPs at a special evening hosted by Hampshire Hospitals NHS Trust.
During 2013 Hampshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust received more than 1,000 nominations for WOW! Awards which acknowledge those staff who provide excellent customer care and go beyond the call of duty. Nominations are made by public and staff and judged by the Foundation Trust’s public governors who choose a small number of people to receive an award each month.
The celebration was the first time that the Foundation Trust had gathered together all the winners from the previous year, and the highlight of the evening was the presentation of a number of special overall awards chosen by directors, local rotary organisations and the Foundation Trust’s chairman.
Chief Operating Officer and Chief Nurse Donna Green said: “We have an outstanding group of staff and the awards highlight the dedication and hard work they put in to deliver high quality services for our patients. Our staff have been nominated for some amazing things and it makes me feel extremely proud and privileged to work here when I read all the nominations we receive.”
Guest speaker for the evening was Dr Liz Jackson MBE, a business leader and author who was one of Channel 4’s Secret Millionaires. Christine Rowley and Paul Le Feuvre from Hospital Radio Basingstoke compered the evening, which was attended by special guests the Mayor of Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council, the Mayor of Test Valley and the Mayor of Winchester as well as representatives from the Rotary clubs of Andover, Basingstoke and Winchester.
Divisional award winners
- Medical Division Overall Winner: Sister Becky Hutchinson and the team from ward E4 at Basingstoke and North Hampshire Hospital
- Surgical Division Overall Winner: Julie Adams, Nick Jonas Unit chemotherapy ward sister, Royal Hampshire County Hospital
- Family and Clinical Support Services Division Overall Winner: Miss Avideah Nejad, consultant obstetrician, Basingstoke and North Hampshire Hospital
- Corporate Services Division Overall Winner: Nigel Jenson, Rapid Response, Basingstoke and North Hampshire Hospital
Rotary Club awards
- Rotary Club of Basingstoke Deane Award: Dr Corinne Brooks, consultant gastroenterologist, Basingstoke and North Hampshire Hospital.
- Rotary Club of Winchester Award: Julie Adams, Nick Jonas Unit chemotherapy ward sister, Royal Hampshire County Hospital
- Rotary Club of Andover Award: Jenny Dykes, Phloebotomy Manager, Andover War Memorial Hospital and Basingstoke and North Hampshire Hospital
Hampshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Chairman Elizabeth Padmore closed the evening with the presentation of special awards for those staff she felt best represented the Foundation Trust’s values – Compassion, Accountability, Respect and Encouragement (CARE).
- Runner up: Adassa Varty, Receptionist, the Acute Assessment Unit, Basingstoke and North Hampshire Hospital
- Runner up: Jenny Dykes, Phlebotomy Manager, Andover War Memorial Hospital and Basingstoke and North Hampshire Hospital
- Winner: Billi-Anne Harris, Domestic and Laundry Manager, Royal Hampshire County Hospital